If you do business online then you already know that securing the right domain name can be a vital component in the success of any online enterprise.
Your domain name helps people to find you on the web, it’s part of your brand, your identity… a fundamental part of your online business.
So, given that the right domain can be such a vital business asset, just how much are people prepared to pay to get the perfect domain name?
Quite a lot, as it turns out.
In 1999 the domain name Business.com took the top spot as the world’s most expensive domain when it attracted a whopping US$7.5 million. The domain reigned supreme until 2006, when sex.com was put on the open market and finally sold for between US$12-14 million (depending on who you talk to).
In late 2009 the record changed hands again when Insure.com was snapped up for a cool US$16 million.
While the market for domains isn’t as hot as it was in the dot.com boom years, it’s still a buoyant and lucrative one. Every year tens of millions of Euro change hands through the resale of internet domains.
What are the ten most expensive domain names in the world?
- Insure.com, sold for $16 million in 2009.
- Sex.com, sold for $12-$14 million in 2006.
- Fund.com, sold for $9.99 million in 2008.
- Porn.com, sold for $9.5 million in 2007.
- Business.com, sold for $7.5 million in 1999.
- Diamond.com, sold for $7.5 million in 2006.
- Beer.com, sold for $7 million in 2004.
- Israel.com, sold for $5.88 million in 2004.
- Casino.com, sold for $5.5 million in 2003.
- Toys.com, sold for $5.1 million in 2009.
Luckily you don’t have to pay that much to bag yourself a really great domain name. There are still plenty available for under €10 – grab yours from letshost today – it could be the best investment you ever make!